Ko Tainui te waka
Ko Waikato te awa
Ko Taupiri te maunga
Ko Ngati Tamaoho te hapu
Ko Waikato te iwi
Ko Pukekohe te kainga
Ko Nga Hau e Wha te marae
In 1952, a Community Hall on Ward St in Pukekohe was used as a place for Maori to congregate.
The hall was named, ‘Nga Hau e Wha Marae’ by Princess Te Puea Herangi.
For just over 30 years, the Community Hall on Ward St served the Maori community of Pukekohe until opposition arose which led to Council involvement and the offer of the old rubbish tip site as a new site for the marae.
In 1984, after an arduous journey, the Marae Committee opted to relocate onto the present 25 acre site on Beatty Rd, which initially was a market garden overgrown with wild blackberry.
In 1987, the late Te Arikinui, Te Atairangikaahu opened the dining hall ‘Te Puna o Te Ora’.
The marae grounds are made up of the following:
” A meeting house ‘Nga Hau e Wha’
” A dining hall ‘Te Puna o Te Ora’
” A workshop
” A large ablution block
” Sports fields
” Kaumatua Flats
” A Kokiri Training Centre
” A Kohanga Reo
The carvings which adorn the marae buildings were commissioned from an access scheme run in Mananui, near Taumarunui.